Dangerous electrical fans recalled
Thousands of electrical fans were recalled yesterday after investigations showed they could trigger fires.
Suppliers of 'Duracraft' and 'FATAT' fans and the fan extension box 'Technical' estimated that nearly 10,000 of the products had been sold.
The safety probe followed a complaint and a fire involving a Duracraft DC-100E ceiling fan and a DC 200E wall-mounted fan.
'Our investigations showed lead wires of Duracraft fans are subject to damage after prolonged use.
'This will cause a short-circuit and give rise to a fire hazard,' a spokeswoman for the Electrical and Mechanical Services Department (EMSD) said.
A spokesman for Shenzhen-made Duracraft said about 8,000 of the two models were sold between April last year and August through Pricerite Furniture and Household chain stores.
'We can't track down which part has gone wrong. But as a responsible supplier, we will recall all the products for more comprehensive tests,' he said. Another 1,700 FATAT FT-830 box fans, sold in various outlets since 1989, were also found to be substandard.
'The model failed to comply with the safety provisions, such as electric strength and operating temperature,' the EMSD spokeswoman said.
'In the case of the 200 'Technical' extension unit, we found the flexible cord of the model undersized,' she said.
All suppliers had agreed to recall the products voluntarily.
Consumers can call the EMSD hotline 2882 8011.