Older school heads or teachers have until March 1 to prove they are smart, fit and indispensable if they want to keep working into the next school year.
The announcement yesterday by Director of Education Fanny Law Fan Chiu-fun set off a new row over 'forced retirement'.
Some schools condemned it as disrespectful to school boards' decisions; others said it could be open to abuse.
Mrs Law said a circular had been sent to schools explaining the policy. The move followed a Post report on the confusion at schools.
'As a matter of policy, older staff are expected to retire at 60 and schools have to plan staff succession on this basis,' she said.
Schools can apply to extend their services if they can prove retiring staff are still in good health, capable of good performance and that they have difficulty finding replacements.