• Tue
  • Sep 2, 2014
  • Updated: 10:24am

Sackings an option, says 'sorry' authority

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 23 January, 1999, 12:00am
UPDATED : Saturday, 23 January, 1999, 12:00am

Airport Authority chiefs yesterday issued yet another apology and said sacking those singled out for blame was an option.


However, they refused to respond in detail to the report, saying it was too early.


Asked whether firing people was an option, acting chief executive Billy Lam Chung-lun - who was hired after the strife-torn opening - said: 'Certainly'.


'We have just received the report and the board has set up a special working group to examine its contents to ensure that we take a very positive attitude in following up on the observations, suggestions, findings and recommendations in it,' he said.


'It's a bit too early for me to comment or pre-empt what the working group will say or decide but appropriate actions will be taken.' Several key players, including some who took blame in the report, are now gone.


Former chief executive Hank Townsend resigned late last year when his contract expired. Five other directors have either left or are leaving.


Another of those criticised, Chern Heed, is leaving at the end of February.


The future plans of Kiron Chatterjee, who heads the Information Technology Department, are not clear.


Authority chairman Wong Po-yan said: 'We apologise again. We are committed to continuously improving the standard or services and facilities so that Hong Kong people can have an airport of which they can be proud.'

Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or