Use rinks

PUBLISHED : Friday, 05 February, 1999, 12:00am
UPDATED : Friday, 05 February, 1999, 12:00am

I refer to the letter headlined, 'Killjoy council should be less restrictive' (South China Morning Post, January 21).

Since there is no 'Sai Ying Pun Park' managed by the Urban Services Department (USD), I believe that the park mentioned by your correspondent was either King George V Memorial Park or Western Park, both of which are in the district known as Central and Western.

Both parks have a soccer pitch and other park facilities.

It is the policy of the Provisional Urban Council (PUC) that different parts of the PUC pleasure grounds such as soccer pitches are purposely designed for specific activities for the sake of public safety and the orderly use of our leisure facilities. Nevertheless, use of these facilities other than their designated activities can be considered if prior arrangements can be made.

The purpose-built skating rinks in Victoria Park, Morrison Hill Road Playground, King's Road Playground and Chai Wan Poolside Garden on Hong Kong Island operated by the USD are also suitable for rollerblading.

Should your reader have any further inquiries, he is welcome to contact our District Amenities Officer (Central and Western), Tai Sik-wah, at 2853-2568.

SHUM HING-HAY Regional Leisure Manager (Hong Kong West) Urban Services Department