• Thu
  • Aug 21, 2014
  • Updated: 5:05am

More ill from pig liver soup

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 22 May, 1999, 12:00am
UPDATED : Saturday, 22 May, 1999, 12:00am

Two more people have fallen ill after eating pig liver soup, it was confirmed yesterday.


It is the second report of Clenbuterol poisoning this year.


A woman, 48, and a youth, 17, developed hand tremors and palpitations. They were treated and discharged from United Christian Hospital.


The Health Department appealed for calm, saying there was an established system for screening pork products and tracing the source and distribution of pigs.


'At this stage, there is no cause for undue alarm over the consumption of pork, pig kidney, liver and lung,' a spokesman said.


'However, the public is reminded to take a balanced diet.' The department would continue to monitor and investigate the case.


In March, four people fell ill after they had eaten pig's lung soup bought from a market stall.


Last year, the Government banned the sale of pig offal for four months after the asthma drug Clenbuterol, used to make pork lean, made some consumers ill.


Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or