• Sun
  • Dec 28, 2014
  • Updated: 7:05pm

Pupils miss out on choice

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 02 June, 1999, 12:00am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 02 June, 1999, 12:00am

Fewer than half the pupils starting Primary One in September through central allocation will enter their first-choice schools.


Allocation results, to be released on Saturday, could disappoint most of the youngsters who took part in this year's central allocation organised by the Education Department.


About 30,000 children joined the scheme this year and the department said yesterday 47 per cent had been allocated their first choice for the new academic year.


Sixty-five per cent of the children were given places at schools from their first three choices.


Last year, 30,520 children took part in the scheme, with about 50 per cent given places in first-choice schools.


A department spokesman said parents should collect their children's registration forms this weekend and register their youngsters at allocated schools next Tuesday or Wednesday.


The rush for Primary One school places for the new academic year began late last year when parents skipped breakfast and work to queue at leading primary schools or schools feeding secondary schools teaching in English.


Schools were allowed to take a number of students on their own as discretionary places.


Parents who failed to secure the discretionary places for their children had pinned their hopes on the central allocation.


Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or