• Sat
  • Aug 30, 2014
  • Updated: 3:45pm

HK's Chan threatens to quit

PUBLISHED : Monday, 06 September, 1999, 12:00am
UPDATED : Monday, 06 September, 1999, 12:00am

National coach Chan Hung-ping has threatened to walk out on Hong Kong's Asia Cup team because he's not running the show.


Chan said he wasn't 'even consulted' when the Hong Kong Football Association (HKFA) decided to increase the number of Hong Kong's training squad from 23 to 33 members last week.


Chan, who did not attend yesterday's second training session, said he should have been consulted on matters concerning the squad.


'I was not consulted, nor was I even asked what my views were on the team. I am not happy about the whole situation. They don't seem to respect my wishes,' said Chan.


It is the third incident that has rocked Hong Kong soccer before the start of the season.


Earlier, senior clubs squabbled over broadcasting rights for live coverage of matches, which could have meant $3 million in sponsorships.


South China, Happy Valley, Yee Hope and Sun Hei declined to go along with the plan, thinking it might affect gate receipts.


Last week, Sun Hei officials accused selectors of the Asia Cup squad of being 'biased' after the Hong Kong squad didn't have room for any Sun Hei players even though squad number was increased.


The HKFA said it had not received an official letter of complaint from Chan and was not prepared to comment on the matter.


Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or