• Mon
  • Dec 29, 2014
  • Updated: 2:23pm

Police expect mainland ban to cut car thefts

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 16 September, 1999, 12:00am
UPDATED : Thursday, 16 September, 1999, 12:00am

Police expect fewer cars to be stolen when a ban on right-hand drive vehicles is imposed on the mainland next year.


Assistant Commissioner of Police Fung Siu-yuen said yesterday the number of vehicles reported missing over recent years had been decreasing and was expected to drop further.


In the first eight months of this year, 1,448 vehicles were reported missing, compared with 6,918 in 1992.


Many of the stolen vehicles were smuggled across the border and mainland authorities have returned more than 160 vehicles to Hong Kong since 1991 when such transfer arrangements were put in place.


Organised Crime and Triad Bureau Superintendent Yu Chi-hung said the mainland would impose a ban on all right-hand drive vehicles next year.


'This explains why the number of stolen vehicles continues to fall, especially the number of luxury cars,' he said.


Among the 6,918 vehicles reported stolen in 1992, 2,500 were luxury saloon cars. The number dropped to about 200 last year.


Guangdong returned 18 vehicles worth nearly $6.2 million yesterday.


Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or