Airport body unlikely to seek payout by Hactl
THE Airport Authority is unlikely to seek compensation from Hong Kong Air Cargo Terminals (Hactl) for losses incurred as a result of cargo-handling failures during the chaotic opening of Chek Lap Kok last year.
A source said the authority should seek to consolidate its relationship with business partners such as Hactl.
'It's better [for the authority] not to make any claims over these events,' the source said.
'If we are able to co-operate well, there is no reason for us to ruin it.' Officials put the economic losses during the airport chaos at $4.6 billion.
Freight forwarders have filed claims for more than $62 million from terminal operators for damage to cargo during the botched opening.
The authority has not made clear officially whether it will seek compensation from Hactl.
But Democrat Cheung Man-kwong said it should consider seeking recompense for loss of reputation.
'If they decide not to pursue [the matter] on grounds of 'looking forward', they're making a political decision,' he said.
A Legislative Council select committee has concluded Hactl should take most of the blame for the breakdown of cargo-handling services between the opening day on July 6 and August 24.