Funds set aside for only 12 projects

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 08 December, 1999, 12:00am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 08 December, 1999, 12:00am

Funds have been set aside for only 12 of 181 projects approved by the provisional municipals councils, it emerged yesterday.

The future of the other 169 projects - involving markets, parks and sports complexes - will be left for heads of new bureaus, which will take over the councils' responsibilities, to decide.

Legislators have threatened not to approve funding for the new bureaus if the projects do not go ahead.

In a paper to legislators, the Government said the 12 projects, costing $2.36 billion, had been classified as formally approved and funded by the councils.

The remainder, which will cost at least $23.31 billion, had not received all necessary approval.

It will further study their scope, cost and feasibility and consult legislators before the end of March.

'They are at various stages of development and are subject to change, deferral or cancellation,' the paper said.

Legislators will be asked to approve $7.37 billion in funds today for a major reshuffle of posts after the scrapping, and $5.4 billion to settle 3,200 outstanding works projects contracted by the two provisional municipal councils.

Provisional urban councillors urged yesterday that top priority should be given to public works projects already approved by the municipal councils.

In the council standing committee meeting, Ambrose Cheung Wing-sum, the Urban Council's representative in Legco, said the Government must fulfil promises made to society.


Send to a friend

To forward this article using your default email client (e.g. Outlook), click here.

Enter multiple addresses separated by commas(,)