• Sat
  • Aug 23, 2014
  • Updated: 9:34pm

Bus company plans change of routes to cut congestion

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 22 December, 1999, 12:00am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 22 December, 1999, 12:00am

More express routes and timetable changes to help ease congestion will be brought in after the new year, New World First Bus says.


The changes would reduce pressure to raise fares in the next 12 months, its operations director, Mark Savelli, said yesterday.


The news came as the company reported growth in passenger numbers since taking over the operations of 88 franchised bus routes from China Motor Bus in September last year.


It had a daily average of 497,000 passengers last month, up 35.5 per cent from when it took over.


But the company warned that there would be less scope for growth next year if the problem of congestion was not solved.


New World First Bus said it had drawn up a set of bus service rationalisation proposals with the aim of reducing congestion on Hong Kong Island.


Mr Savelli said: 'What we aim to do is go to the district councils with a route development plan early in the new year with the details of these proposals, which will include more express routes, reducing frequencies in areas where the demands are not so great, and redeployment of resources.' Particular attention would be paid to Central.


Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or