FINAL SEARCH FOR MING RELICS

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 11 April, 2000, 12:00am
UPDATED : Tuesday, 11 April, 2000, 12:00am

Archaeologists will make a full and final excavation of remaining Ming dynasty relics along the Penny's Bay coastline before the site is filled for the Disneyland theme park.


A curator with the Antiquities and Monuments Office, Chau Hing-wah, said it would need about a month to do the excavation job at the 1,000-square-metre site.


Mr Chau said the site had been excavated three times in the past with tens of thousands of shards of Jingde Town's blue-and-white porcelain from the Ming dynasty saved. He said the rescue programme was needed to excavate all possible remaining relics before the site was filled.


Although the Government hoped to start filling the site next month, he said there should be sufficient time for the excavation to be carried out as reclamation should be undertaken in phases.


If preservation on site is impossible, the Disney environmental impact reports say a full excavation should be considered before the shipyard is developed.