• Sat
  • Dec 27, 2014
  • Updated: 5:23am

Unfair

PUBLISHED : Sunday, 10 September, 2000, 12:00am
UPDATED : Sunday, 10 September, 2000, 12:00am
 

Danny Gittings, with his usual bias ('Inside Track' column, Sunday Morning Post, August 27), is quite wrong to say that introducing proportional representation was gerrymandering. If he knows anything about political systems, he must be aware that the first-past-the-post system has long been recognised as unfair, both to voters and political parties.


As a British national he must know that the Conservative Party ruled Britain under that system for nearly two decades, holding most of the seats, but with only 42 per cent of the votes of the electorate. The remaining 58 per cent of the voters had only minimal representation in their parliament. Many countries now use the much more fair proportional representation system which allots seats to the parties proportional to the number of voters supporting them.


It is people like Danny Gittings who would like to gerrymander with the first-past-the-post system to the benefit of his favourite party.


I do see a fault in the list system, however, probably because the present crisis for the Democratic Alliance for the Betterment of Hong Kong (or any other party in a similar situation) had not been anticipated. Perhaps the system could be fine-tuned to allow each party to choose who will occupy the seats allocated after the election results are known.


Danny Gittings blames the freezing of the list on the SAR Government. Under the first-past-the-post system, the list was also frozen at a certain date. Otherwise, the documents would all have to be reprinted each time a candidate decided to opt out. Why is Mr Gittings so determined to misrepresent every single thing done by the Chief Executive - and even blame him for things he did not do?


ELSIE TU


Kowloon


Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or