Jancula's dream is Rangers' nightmare

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 11 April, 2001, 12:00am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 11 April, 2001, 12:00am

Slovakian striker Martin Jancula made a sensational debut for his new club, scoring four goals as Instant-Dict hammered Rangers 11-1 in the FA Cup last night.

Jancula, who played for Slovan Bratislava and in the Slovakian Second Division, scored all four of his goals in the first half as Instant-Dict recorded one of the biggest Cup wins in recent memory. It was also the heaviest defeat since Happy Valley thrashed Kitchee 10-0 in the league last November.

Sun Hei also progressed to the semi-finals of the tournament, defeating Yee Hope 4-1 at Mongkok Stadium.

But the real star of the night was Jancula who scored in the ninth, 39th, 44th and 45th minutes to put Instant-Dict through to an April 21 semi-final against Happy Valley. Sun Hei take on South China in the other semi-final.

Instant-Dict coach Kwok Ka-ming showered praise on his new signing Jancula.

'He scored a lot of goals when he played in the Slovakian Second Division so we knew he would be a good signing. He's good for our standard,' said Kwok.

Anilton da Conceicao scored for Rangers in the first minute, but the floodgates opened for Instant with Korean winger Kim Pan Gon grabbing two goals and Dejan Antonic, Rochi Putiray, Yeung Hei-chi, Ricky Cheng Siu-chung and Yiu Hok-man all chipping in with a goal each.

Ranger's regular goalkeeper Lau Chi-leung missed the game because of work commitments and the club received more bad news when number two goalkeeper Tong Yiu-ming limped off the pitch with a hamstring injury in the 25th minute. He was replaced by the ineffective Tsang Chi-kwong.

Meanwhile, Sun Hei eased into the semi-finals thanks to two goals from Nigerian forward Cornelius Udebuluzor (15th and 49th minutes) and one apiece from John Moore (75) and Jose Ricardo Rambo (80). Andy Roddie opened the scoring for Yee Hope in the seventh minute.

But victory came at a cost for Sun Hei whose defensive midfielder Gary McKeown came off the pitch injured. It is not certain whether he will start in the League Cup final against Happy Valley on Sunday.

'I don't know whether I will play on Sunday. I will put ice on my calf and see how it goes in the morning,' said McKeown.