Instant-Dict hammer Valley to reach final

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 25 April, 2001, 12:00am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 25 April, 2001, 12:00am

Instant-Dict coach Kwok Ka-ming was singing his team's praises after watching them bring recently crowned League Cup winners Happy Valley crashing down to earth with a 3-0 thumping in last night's FA Cup semi-final at Hong Kong Stadium.

Indonesian forward Rochi Putiray scored a brace of goals, while Slovakian striker Martin Jancula struck his sixth goal in three games as the Dickies gained a measure of revenge after Happy Valley thrashed them 5-1 in the league last October.

'We have wanted to win this for a long time. We wanted to play well, especially after losing in the Senior Challenge Shield final [1-0 against Yee Hope]. We knew Happy Valley were a top quality side, but we were much better conditioned,' said Kwok.

'We couldn't just sit back after one goal. Against a quality side like Happy Valley you can't sit back because they beat Sun Hei [in the League Cup final] by coming back. We had to go for the goals and this is a good win for us,' said the former Hong Kong national coach.

Jancula boosted his side's hopes by scoring a superb 26th-minute opener. The towering Slovakian created space before drilling home a piledriver from about 16 yards out.

Instant-Dict killed off any chance of Happy Valley staging a comeback when Putiray struck the first of his two goals in the 82nd minute. The slightly built Indonesian picked up Jancula's lob and cleverly knocked the ball wide of advancing goalkeeper Leung Cheuk-cheung - who replaced the injured Peter Guthrie - before tapping home.

Putiray hit his second deep into injury time when he latched on to a long ball before beating his marker and racing towards the goalline. His first effort struck the upright but he made no mistake with his second, heading into an empty net.

South China also reached the final, but they had to endure several anxious moments before seeing off 10-man Sun Hei 3-2 in the other semi. Au Wai-lun (21 minutes), Aderbal Filho (35) and Poon Man-tik (59) struck for the Caroliners, while Cornelius Udebuluzor (28) and John Moore (89) scored for Sun Hei who had Wong Kwok-pun sent off in the 56th minute after a dreadful tackle on Poon.