Construction revamp this year

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 09 June, 2001, 12:00am
UPDATED : Saturday, 09 June, 2001, 12:00am
 

A construction industry body will be set up this year to implement a string of government recommendations to revamp the crisis-hit sector, works officials have announced.


The industry has been rocked by a spate of piling scandals over the past year and the new body will oversee reforms proposed by a high-powered review committee, Secretary for Works Lee Shing-see said yesterday.


More than 100 recommendations made by the committee, chaired by Executive Councillor Henry Tang Ying-yen, have been endorsed by the Chief Executive and Executive Council.


However, Mr Lee said it had not yet been decided who would head the body.


The Works Bureau will be the leading agency to be covered by the new body, which will comprise representatives from the construction industry.


'Our target is to set up this body within 2001,' Mr Lee said.


Some of the recommendations include giving workers a grace period of three years to be included in a mandatory registration scheme and the creation of 12 new posts, including three director-level positions, in a new Industry Review Division within the bureau. The bureau will receive $9.2 million a year over three years to oversee and co-ordinate the reforms.


Mr Lee refused to reveal if any decision had been reached on the regulation of public housing projects under the Buildings Ordinance - one of the review committee's key recommendations.


Share

 

Send to a friend

To forward this article using your default email client (e.g. Outlook), click here.

Construction revamp this year

Enter multiple addresses separated by commas(,)

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive