Businessman fights off knife-wielding burglar

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 20 June, 2001, 12:00am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 20 June, 2001, 12:00am

A wealthy 58-year-old businessman told yesterday how he wrestled a knife from a burglar who threatened his wife after breaking into their home in one of the SAR's most exclusive streets.

Thomas Chuang Tsoi-hung suffered cuts to his right hand as he fought off the intruder and an accomplice with the help of his 26-year-old son.

The break-in took place at Mr Chuang's three-storey home in Shouson Hill Road, Aberdeen, where neighbours include Chief Secretary for Administration Donald Tsang Yam-kuen, film director Wong Kar-wai and shipping tycoon George Chao Sze-kwong.

Mr Chuang said his son was also injured when he came to help him, falling down stairs in a fight with one of the raiders. The pair fled empty-handed.

Father and son were taken to Tang Shiu Kin Hospital where the elder Mr Chuang received four stitches to his index finger and two to the back of his right hand. The pair were later discharged.

His wholly owned company - K & E Industries - has a 15 per cent stake in clothing business the Gay Giano International Group, which was listed on the Hong Kong Stock Market in April, 2000. Mr Chuang also owns a sewing-machine manufacturing plant in China and runs a number of other companies in Hong Kong, including fashion shops.

His ordeal began after the two raiders scaled the surrounding wall of the three-storey house and climbed into the kitchen through an unlocked window at about 2am. They took a fruit knife and plastic window cleaner before going to the domestic helper's ground-floor room, where they tied and gagged her.

The raiders then disconnected a telephone line and intercom system.

At the time, Mr Chuang, his wife, 55, son, daughter-in-law and two grandchildren were inside the house.

Mr Chuang said he was woken by a call from a security company after his maid managed to press a panic button.

He said one of the intruders used the window cleaner to threaten him. As he went to take a bag containing Mr Chuang's identity card and home return permit, the businessman's wife ran out of a bedroom and the other intruder gave chase.

'My wife was stopped and threatened at knifepoint. I put up a struggle with the man. I snatched his knife but suffered minor cuts to my right hand. The fight spilled from the first floor to the ground floor when my son ran and helped me in the fight,' he said.

'When we managed to subdue him, the other intruder hit us with my bag. When we fought back, the first man ran off and climbed out of a kitchen window.' He said the second man put up a struggle and managed to run out of the house. His wife was unhurt.

Mr Chuang said he had not been afraid. 'They were teenage boys and looked like illegal immigrants or new immigrants from China and were about 1.6 metres tall,' he said.