Two new dengue fever cases bring total to 12
Mary Ann Benitez
Health authorities announced two new cases of dengue fever yesterday, bringing the total to 12 this year.
Officials said all the cases were imported after the patients had travelled to areas where dengue fever was endemic.
A 33-year-old man from Southern district, who visited Bangladesh, developed a fever and headache on October 24 and was admitted to Queen Mary Hospital the next day.
He was reported to be in a stable condition last night.
The man was diagnosed with dengue fever yesterday, the Department of Health said.
A 46-year-old woman from Central-Western district who travelled to Thailand saw a private doctor on October 5.
Tests made later at a private laboratory confirmed dengue fever and the case was reported to the department on October 24. Government tests confirmed dengue fever on Wednesday.
The woman did not have to be admitted to hospital and her husband and daughter are showing no signs of the disease.
The department also said a 24-year-old woman from Mongkok, who was admitted to Princess Margaret Hospital on Wednesday, was suffering from malaria.
The woman had been in Pakistan from December last year to the end of September and started showing signs of malaria on October 3.
The latest case brings to 37 the number of malaria cases this year, all imported.
Hong Kong has been on the alert after Macau suffered an outbreak of dengue fever in August.
By late last month, at least 1,148 people in Macau had been diagnosed with the disease.
An enhanced anti-mosquito campaign in Hong Kong ends tomorrow.