• Sun
  • Apr 20, 2014
  • Updated: 4:32am

6,700 eligible after ruling on boy

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 24 January, 2002, 12:00am
UPDATED : Thursday, 24 January, 2002, 12:00am

More than 6,700 people became eligible for right of abode after the Court of Final Appeal ruled in July that a three-year-old boy born in Hong Kong while his mainland parents were visiting on a two-way permit could stay, Secretary for Security Regina Ip Lau Suk-yee said yesterday.


Replying to legislators' questions about the impact of the ruling that Chong Fung-yuen enjoyed right of abode regardless of the residential status of his parents, Mrs Ip said that between the handover and July 19 last year 6,762 people were eligible for the right of abode in accordance with the judgment. But she said no count had been made of how many people who registered their birth before the handover could benefit from the verdict.


Share

Login

SCMP.com Account

or