Call the police

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 14 February, 2002, 12:00am
UPDATED : Thursday, 14 February, 2002, 12:00am

I refer to the letter headlined 'Keyboard cacophany' (South China Morning Post, January 24).

Your correspondent asked for advice on the legal rights of residents disturbed by the noise from a neighbour playing a piano.

Neighbourhood noise is controlled under sections 4 and 5 of the Noise Control Ordinance.

It is an offence under the ordinance if noise from any person playing a musical instrument at home is a source of annoyance to neighbours at any time.

If the noise problem cannot be resolved through discussion between the neighbours, your correspondent can contact the local police station for assistance.

Police will investigate and assess the noise on a subjective nuisance basis.


Senior Environmental

Protection Officer

for Director of Environmental