Leaking toxic fumes force closure of Western street

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 13 July, 2002, 12:00am
UPDATED : Saturday, 13 July, 2002, 12:00am
 

Fire and police officers had to cordon off a section of Forbes Street in Western for about two hours yesterday after poisonous gas leaked from a metal can inside a bamboo waste basket.


Kennedy Town fire station commander Chau Yau-lay said the can contained hydrocyanic acid, which gave off highly toxic fumes. He said the spill lasted about three minutes. Firemen wearing safety suits placed the can into a container for disposal.


Share

 

Send to a friend

To forward this article using your default email client (e.g. Outlook), click here.

Enter multiple addresses separated by commas(,)

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive