Free-ride rail deal renewed

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 10 August, 2002, 12:00am
UPDATED : Saturday, 10 August, 2002, 12:00am
 

The MTRC yesterday offered a renewed fare concession - but no fare cuts - amid mounting pressure for public transport companies to lower prices.


A six-month concession scheme, starting on September 2 and ending on March 2, would give commuters one free trip per 10 rides a week, an MTRC spokeswoman said. The concession was approved 'in view of prevailing economic conditions' to ease the financial burden on passengers.


The spokeswoman declined to comment on whether it was also due to political pressure.


Last week, Secretary for the Environment, Transport and Works Sarah Liao Sau-tung said she would push for lower fares after being petitioned by political groups.


Dr Liao said transport fares remained high despite the economic decline.


Companies such as New World First Bus and Kowloon-Canton Railway Corporation have since pledged concessions.


The MTRC offered the ride-10-get-one-free concession between December and June. The spokeswoman refused to estimate the cost of the scheme.


Share

 

Send to a friend

To forward this article using your default email client (e.g. Outlook), click here.

Free-ride rail deal renewed

Enter multiple addresses separated by commas(,)

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive