Second magazine criticised over photo | South China Morning Post
  • Thu
  • Mar 5, 2015
  • Updated: 3:21pm

Second magazine criticised over photo

PUBLISHED : Monday, 04 November, 2002, 12:00am
UPDATED : Monday, 04 November, 2002, 12:00am

Five hundred demonstrators who protested yesterday at government headquarters in Central condemned another magazine for using a picture of a distressed actress photographed topless against her will.


Eastweek, which aroused indignation last week by using the picture on its cover, is to shut down, it was confirmed yesterday.


But Three Weekly, a tabloid magazine owned by South China Media, used the same picture on Saturday. The eyes of the victim were not covered up but her body was obscured. It printed more copies yesterday after the edition sold out.


The protesters said the magazine, whose cover read 'Revealing the truth of the nude photo', was trying to cash in on the public furore. They also demanded Eastweek give a full explanation of how it obtained the picture.


'We don't accept hypocritical apologies. Bring the mastermind out! Boycott unethical publications!' yelled entertainers, directors, lawmakers, rights activists and members of the public.


Celebrities who have been haunted by the paparazzi took the opportunity to hit back.


'In the past few years we have been dogged by the paparazzi. They rummage through our rubbish bins to make up absurd stories,' singer Eric Tsang Chi-wai said.


Legislator Cheung Man-kwong questioned Three Weekly's ethics. 'One evil passes, one evil arises. Eastweek is now a dead dog. But Three Weekly seems quite keen to fill its shoes.'


Hong Kong Journalists' Association vice-chairman Tam Chi-keung accused the magazine of jumping on the bandwagon after Eastweek sold out.


Three Weekly claimed it received the photo from an anonymous person in Shenzhen on October 20 but decided not to publish it to avoid 'being an apparatus of the culprits'.


But the magazine said it had chosen to reveal it now so that 'the community could have a more comprehensive understanding of the incident after all the guessing and misreporting that has disturbed the public'.


Secretary for Home Affairs Patrick Ho Chi-ping has ordered all copies of Eastweek in public libraries to be limited to adults.


The Television and Entertainment Licensing Authority had received 10 complaints against Three Weekly and 660 against Eastweek by noon yesterday.


Share

Related topics

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or