Robbers grab $1.65m worth of gadgets - and security footage

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 10 July, 2003, 12:00am
UPDATED : Thursday, 10 July, 2003, 12:00am

Robbers overpowered two security guards and stole $1.65 million worth of computer chips and video projectors yesterday morning - along with the security camera footage of their raid on a Kwun Tong industrial building.

The two victims were tied and blindfolded by the robbers who broke into the 16th-floor office at the Capital Trade Centre, in Tsun Yip Street.

The guards were brought to the ground floor and tied to separate office chairs. But one of the guards, 59-year-old Wong Lai-hung, managed to wheel himself out on to the street to shout for help after the robbers escaped.

Yesterday's raid was the second in three days in the industrial area. On Monday, three men escaped with $3.12 million worth of computer chips from a nearby warehouse in Shing Yip Street. Police are conducting an investigation to see if the two cases are connected.

According to the police, Mr Wong and his colleague, Hau Lo-fu, 50, were subdued on the 16th floor by four or five men at about 5.30am while patrolling the building.

The raiders were armed with a knife, spanners and screwdrivers.

'After tying up the two guards, the Cantonese-speaking robbers stole about 100 cartons of computer chips and projectors, worth a total of $1.65 million, from the trading company.

The goods were scheduled to be delivered to the mainland,' a police investigator said.

The robbers then carried the goods and the two guards into a lift to the ground-floor car park.

They also stole the videotape out of the building's closed-circuit television surveillance system before fleeing in a truck at about 6.15am, leaving behind the two guards at the loading area on the ground floor.

'Shortly after the vehicle sped away from the scene, one of the guards, who was still tied to the chair, wheeled himself out of the building to seek help.

'He rolled for about 15 metres from the loading area to the pavement where he was discovered by a pedestrian,' an officer said, adding the two guards were uninjured.

Investigation showed the culprits had entered the building on Tuesday night and waited until everyone had left.