City Briefs

PUBLISHED : Monday, 27 October, 2003, 12:00am
UPDATED : Monday, 27 October, 2003, 12:00am

Legislator hurt when car crashes into hill

Legislator Bernard Chan suffered minor injuries to his hands and right leg when he crashed his car into a hillside in Aberdeen at 10am yesterday. His car veered out of control as he was driving along Nam Fung Road towards Deep Water Bay Road. Mr Chan was treated at Ruttonjee Hospital and discharged.

50 tourists stranded as park ferris wheel fails

About 50 tourists were briefly stranded on the Ferris wheel at Ocean Park after a switch system failure. The wheel stopped at 3.50pm, trapping the tourists inside 15 gondolas. It took eight minutes to lower all the gondolas after switching to manual operation. A spokeswoman for the park apologised for the incident and said the park would investigate the cause of the breakdown.

Education spending cuts 'must not affect quality'

Secretary for Education and Manpower Arthur Li Kwok-cheung said he was still discussing education funding cuts with Financial Secretary Henry Tang Ying-yen. Professor Li said the key issues were to ensure that the cuts would not affect the quality of education or staff benefits. He said money spent on education definitely would shrink but the percentage could stay at 23 per cent of government spending.

Institute honours businessman, ex-chairman

Industrialist Tin Ka-ping and former Hong Kong Institute of Education chairman Simon Ip Sek-on will be made honorary Doctors of Education by the institute next month. The institute said the pair were being honoured for their contributions to society and tertiary education. They will receive their doctorates at the graduation ceremony on November 14.

Seven teenagers hurt in minibus crash

Seven teenagers were slightly injured when a goods vehicle ran into the back of their minibus in Sha Tin. The van crashed into the minibus after it had stopped to let off passengers in Sha Tin Wai Road. The two girls and five youths were treated at Prince of Wales Hospital. The two drivers both passed breathalyser tests.