Campbell lifts Gunners as United slip up

PUBLISHED : Sunday, 12 September, 1993, 12:00am
UPDATED : Sunday, 12 September, 1993, 12:00am

KEVIN Campbell scored a hat-trick as Arsenal crushed Ipswich 4-0 to move level with English soccer's Premier League leaders Manchester United, who were beaten for the first time this season yesterday.

Champions United, unbeaten for 16 league games over six months, went down 1-0 at Chelsea, who scored early through Gavin Peacock and then held on despite tremendous second-half pressure from United.

Arsenal, undefeated since the opening day of the season, swamped Ipswich as strikers Campbell and Ian Wright savaged the opposition defence to claim all the goals between them.

Wright grabbed Arsenal's first and set up two for Campbell, who was under instructions from manager George Graham to shoot on sight.

Leeds United finally ended a miserable run of 24 away games without a win over the last 17 months when new striker Brian Deane's 51st-minute goal and a last-minute strike from Gary Speed earned them a 2-0 win at Southampton.

Third-placed Coventry remain the only unbeaten side in the Premier League after drawing 0-0 at Aston Villa.

Manchester United, with seven of their side involved in midweek internationals, struggled to break Chelsea down.

Chelsea's winner came after just 17 minutes when Danish goalkeeper Peter Schmeichel failed to hold Steve Clarke's shot and Peacock pounced on the rebound.

Chelsea, with only one win this season, had to withstand plenty of pressure and Eric Cantona almost scored for United when he lobbed Russian goalkeeper Dmitri Kharin from 35 metres only for the ball to bounce up against the bar and drop back into the goalkeeper's arms.

Arsenal joined United on 16 points but remain second on goal difference despite their heavy win.

Beleaguered Manchester City beat Queen's Park Rangers 3-0 to register their first home win of the season.

The victory, secured by goals from Niall Quinn, Mike Sheron and Gary Flitcroft, took the edge off supporters' post-match demonstrations calling for chairman Peter Swales' resignation.

Former City star Francis Lee, who is attempting a takeover bid, received a huge cheer when he took his seat.