HELP AT HAND | South China Morning Post
  • Tue
  • Mar 3, 2015
  • Updated: 5:14pm


PUBLISHED : Monday, 21 June, 2004, 12:00am
UPDATED : Monday, 21 June, 2004, 12:00am

The Hong Kong Mood Disorders Centre offers two phobia-related services. If you need to be seen immediately, staff can refer you to a private doctor trained to deal with anxiety disorders. If you're prepared to go on a waiting list, the centre has its own clinical psychologists, who can arrange private weekly therapy sessions for a fee.

The centre can also refer you to support groups, run by recovered patients, for the likes of agoraphobia and social phobia. For more information, leave your details with the hotline: 2833 0838.

The Mental Health Association of Hong Kong offers telephone counselling on its free hotline (tel: 2772 0047), Monday to Friday, 2pm to 10pm. It also provides one-on-one counselling with clinical psychologists for a fee. To get on the waiting list, call 2528 4656.

St John's Counselling Service provides counselling with clinical psychologists, clinical social workers, marriage and family therapists, and mental health counsellors, depending on requirements. Therapy can be one-on-one, with couples or families. The service has a policy of never turning anyone away, and fees are adjusted according to income and ability to pay. Leave your details on 2525 7207 or 2525 7208, or fax 2524 2777.

You can get more information about phobias from the websites of the National Phobics Society, at, or the American Psychiatric Association, at


For unlimited access to: SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive



Login Account