PUBLISHED : Monday, 26 July, 2004, 12:00am
UPDATED : Monday, 26 July, 2004, 12:00am

Experts say you should seek professional help if you answer 'yes' to two or more of these questions:

Have you ever felt you should cut down on your drinking?

Have people annoyed you by criticising your drinking?

Have you ever felt bad or guilty about your drinking?

Have you ever had a drink first thing in the morning to steady your nerves or get rid of a hangover (an eye opener)?

You can first seek help from your family doctor, a clinical psychologist or social worker. You may be referred to Tuen Mun Alcoholic Problems Clinic, which provides a full service that helps drinkers manage their addiction and its related problems. Those requiring in-patient treatment are admitted to Castle Peak Hospital. For details, call 2456 8260 or page 7308 0910.

St John's Counselling Service provides sessions with clinical psychologists and clinical social workers, who can help you quit. Therapy can be one-on-one, with couples or with families. The service has a policy of never turning anyone away, and fees are adjusted according to income and ability to pay. Leave your details on 2525 7207 or 2525 7208, or fax 2524 2777.

For more information about local services, call the Social Welfare Department hotline on 2343 2255.

Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) is a free self-help group, where reformed alcoholics support each other's efforts to remain sober. There are meetings in English every day and in Cantonese twice a week at locations on Hong Kong Island and the New Territories. For more details call 2522 5665 (English) or

2578 9822 (Cantonese), or go to the website www.aa-hk.org.