The Justice Department has called for a full explanation from a veteran barrister who failed to turn up to prosecute on the first day of a robbery case.
The call follows strong criticism by a District Court judge of the conduct of barrister John Necholas, who had to go to the United Kingdom for an 'urgent family matter' but failed to inform the department or the judge that he would be unable to open the case.
It is the second complaint in less than a month about the conduct of a prosecuting barrister.
Roderick Murray was suspended from the list of prosecutors over his disruptive antics in court last month and now faces a Bar Association disciplinary hearing.
Mr Necholas was absent from the start of the robbery trial on August 9, which had to be adjourned to the afternoon before being taken over by another barrister from the same chambers, Malcolm Nunns.
After sentencing the defendant yesterday, Deputy District Court Judge David Dufton said the barrister should have had enough time to inform the department, his chambers or the court through 'fax, mobile phone or text message' of his absence.
'I know Mr Necholas well,' Judge Dufton said. 'But the court is obliged to receive a proper explanation for the absence of the counsel.'