City Briefs

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 26 October, 2004, 12:00am
UPDATED : Tuesday, 26 October, 2004, 12:00am

Jewellery salesman robbed at knifepoint

Police are hunting four men who robbed a jewellery salesman of goods worth $400,000 in broad daylight yesterday. The 27-year-old salesman was ambushed while returning home in Tai Nan Street, Shamshuipo, when the robbers struck at 11.30am. The thieves waited for the salesman in the lift lobby, having earlier subdued the security guard stationed at the building.

The robbers pulled a knife on the salesman, who had just collected the jewellery from his company in Tsim Sha Tsui. He was taken to the stairs and tied up before the robbers fled.

Hospital foreman jailed for theft, bribery

A hospital foreman who stole medicine and accepted wine and cigarettes from his subordinates in return for giving them favourable treatment was jailed for five months yesterday.

Chu Wing-keung, 56, worked at Queen Mary Hospital and was given the bottle of wine and 36 packs of duty-free cigarettes between January 2000 and last December. He was also caught stealing two bottles of tablets from the accident and emergency room.

Bank customers alerted to fraudulent website

The Industrial and Commercial Bank of China warned its internet customers yesterday of the discovery of a fraudulent website that imitates its official website.

It said users should not reveal their personal log-in details to third parties under any circumstances and should only use the banks official website at Customers can contact the bank at 2887 0349 if they fear they may have leaked security details to the bogus site.

ciguatera poisoning hits 13 people in two incidents

Thirteen people have suffered ciguatera poisoning in two incidents, bringing to 228 the number of people affected this year. The first involved 12 people who ate hump head wrasse in a Sai Kung restaurant on Friday. None required hospital treatment. A 33-year-old woman who ate moray eel in Dongguan in Guangdong province was admitted to Prince of Wales Hospital on Sunday and discharged yesterday.