Where to go to get help with fees and living costs

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 06 November, 2004, 12:00am
UPDATED : Saturday, 06 November, 2004, 12:00am

Postgraduate education is not cheap but there are a wide range of scholarships on offer for local and overseas study.

Various local awards, such as the Sir Edward Youde Memorial Fellowships and the Li Po Chun Charitable Trust Fund - Overseas Postgraduate Study and Professional Training Scholarship, can be applied through the government. Further information can be obtained on-line at www.info.gov.hk/sfaa/en/scholar.htm. The government's Continuing Education Fund also provides reimbursements for designated types of training: www.info.gov.hk/sfaa/cef.

Open University of Hong Kong offers various scholarships, such as the Hong Kong Society of Accountants Scholarship for accounting students and the Ted Ho CPA Ltd Postgraduate Scholarship for business: www.ouhk.edu.hk

Offers from overseas governments include Britain's Chevening Scholarships now open for application and which can benefit up to 40 residents from Hong Kong and Macau. Scholars have their tuition, airfares and living costs covered up to $300,000. The number of Chevening scholars has grown considerably in recent years due to a donation from tycoon Li Ka-Shing. Visit www.britishcouncilorg.hk/chevening/

Oher scholarships:

Asian Cultural Council fellowships for visual artists to study in the United States: www.asianculturalcouncil.org

Croucher Foundation scholarships: for research at Hong Kong universities: www.croucher.org.hk/grants2.htm

Gates Cambridge Scholars Programme: for postgraduate research at Cambridge University, UK: www.gates.scholarships.cam.ac.uk/

Rotary Foundation Ambassadorial Scholarships: for one or two years study abroad: www:rotary3450.org

Scholarships for studying in Germany: www.daad.de/ibz.hongkong/scholarship_daad.shtml

Scholarships for studying in France: