• Sun
  • Aug 31, 2014
  • Updated: 6:22pm

Woman critical after oil burner accident

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 23 November, 2004, 12:00am
UPDATED : Tuesday, 23 November, 2004, 12:00am

A woman was fighting for her life in hospital last night after her clothes ignited while she was filling a lit oil burner.


Police said the accident happened at about 7.30am at the home of the 38-year-old victim, surnamed Cheung, in Man Hoi House, Chun Man Court, Ho Man Tin.


The woman's Filipino domestic helper, 26, helped her put out the fire with buckets of water before firemen arrived, a Fire Services Department spokesman said.


The woman suffered burns to about 25 per cent of her body, mainly on her chest and back.


She was taken to Queen Elizabeth Hospital where she was in a critical condition last night.


The spokesman said initial investigations had discovered no suspicious circumstances.


The Fire Services Department said it had dealt with similar accidents involving oil burners and warned users they should always switch the appliance off before adding oil, and should keep a close watch on a lit burner.


He added that fragrant oil burners should not be placed close to curtains or other items when lit.


A Western unit was damaged on October 2 when an aromatic oil burner toppled over in a maid's room. No one was hurt.


Share

Related topics

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or