Hot Open Cloze items
Alfred Yiu is here to help you get through your exams. A graduate of the University of Hong Kong, he has 15 years' experience in tutoring students for HKCEE and A-level exams and has also written English textbooks.
The following exercise is meant to familiarise you with some of the often-tested items, particularly in general and Open Cloze (Paper 2).
1. If parents leave their children unattended at home, they will put them in _________.
2. Fire broke _______ last night, but it was soon brought _________ control.
3. Mr Yiu hopes that the items in this exercise will be similar ________ those in the Open Cloze of the forthcoming examination paper.
4. Youngsters should join extra-curricular activities to make _________ with other people.
5. For ______ information, please visit www.ayiu.com
6. Students should spend their ______ time more meaningfully by taking up healthy hobbies.
7. It is ______ to the teacher to decide which of his students can have the reference books for free.
8. The students of ABC College organised a fun fair to ______ money for a home for the aged.
9. I am ____________ to swimming in the morning. This habit mainly accounts for my good health.
10. On public holidays, people prefer to stay home ____________ of going out.
11. ___________ our disappointment, our school picnic was cancelled because of the bad weather.
12. The ticketing system is completely automated _________ that a large number of passengers can be easily handled.
13. Adventurous people like _______ risks. If they go too far, they ______the risk of losing their life.
14. As ________ as they witnessed the crime, they called ________ police.
15. _________ if you feel tired, you should not go to sleep.
16. Crash diets usually do more _______________ than good. Ladies are reminded not to pursue beauty at the expense of health.
17. This is a very demanding job. The staff here work in shifts and never have a day ____________.
18. Although our government has done a lot to upgrade the living conditions of Hong Kong people, there is still much ______________ for improvement.
19. It is ____________ doubt that conserving our natural environment is the greatest mission in the new millennium. The effort we have put in so far is _______________ from enough. Whether our future generations have a decent place to live in depends ___________ our determination in the matter.
20. The suitable candidate for the job must be polite and pleasant in appearance. ________ addition, the ability to speak both English and Putonghua fluently is a _______________.
21. I have not _______________ finished the project. In _______________ to meet the deadline, I work day and night without taking any rest.
1. danger/jeopardy (in danger = at risk)
2. out; under (fire/war/epidemic/ plague + break out)
3. to ('similar to' but 'the same as'/'like')
4. friends/contact (make friends with/make contact with/make the acquaintance of)
7. up (up to somebody = at somebody's discretion)
9. used/accustomed (talking about a habit)
10. instead (to stay home rather than go out = to stay home instead of going out)
12. so (so that + purpose or reason: adverb clause of purpose or reason )
13. taking; run
14. soon; the (as soon as = shortly after)
16. harm (do more harm than good = have more disadvantages than advantages)
17. off (a day off = holiday)
19. beyond; far; on (beyond doubt = most certain; far from enough = very insufficient)
20. In; must (in addition = besides; a must = essential)
21. yet; order