Hey Anne, look at this skirt.
Oh, it's so cute.
Excuse me, do you have this skirt in a size 8?
Yes, here you are.
Hmm, it looks a bit long.
Do you do alterations?
Yes, we do.
Great. I'd like to have it shortened by an inch. Thanks.
No problem. It'll be ready in two days.
1. Do you do alterations? Yes, we do. When politeness is called for, we should answer the above question with 'Yes, we do' than just a mere 'Yes'. Also, note that we don't repeat the words in the question and say 'Yes, we do alternations'. It's sufficient to just say 'Yes, we do'.
2. Simple words such as 'hey', 'oh', 'hmm', 'great' make your conversation natural and flow better. Read the dialogue above without those words and you'll notice the difference.
1. Make an effort to look clean and tidy.
2. Dress so you feel comfortable.
3. Shop with a friend and get a second opinion. It is more fun.