In brief

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 09 March, 2005, 12:00am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 09 March, 2005, 12:00am

Mother talked out of suicide attempt

A woman holding her two sons, aged one and four, threatened to jump from the roof of a 29-storey residential block in Wong Tai Sin yesterday in an attempted suicide.

The suicide bid was triggered by relationship problems with her husband, a police officer said.

The woman, 28, eventually calmed down and came down after talking to officers. She was sent to hospital for a check-up and her two sons were handed over to her husband, 47.

In a separate case, a man, 38, who lived alone, was found dead in his Pitt Street unit in Yau Ma Tei at 12.30pm after burning charcoal to commit suicide. His brother said he had money and relationship problems.

driver arrested after car rams into minibus

A driver, 30, who refused to take a breathalyser test was arrested after his car rammed into the back of a minibus in Tuen Mun, injuring a passenger.

The crash happened when the minibus stopped at a red light at the junction of Castle Peak Road and So Kwun Wat Road at 4am.

A 43-year-old female passenger was injured and was taken to Tuen Mun Hospital for treatment. Both drivers were unhurt in the incident. The car's driver has been released on $5,000 bail.

owner of hair salon punched and robbed

The owner of a hair salon that also provides massage services was punched and robbed of a wallet containing $1,100. The woman, 51, told police she was punched at 3am when she demanded money from a man after providing him massage services. The man, described as being fat, was still on the run last night.

22 arrested in raid on alleged gambling den

Police arrested 22 people and seized $2,500 in cash and gambling paraphernalia when they raided a unit allegedly used as a gambling den in Sa Po Road, Kowloon City at 9am. The 10 men and 12 women, aged between 20 and 52, were found gambling with dice in the unit. They were being held for questioning.

Stolen car torched

A car reported stolen in Tsz Wan Shan earlier this year was torched in an open car park in Castle Peak Road in Lok Ma Chau at 2.30am. The fire was put out by firemen.

Mark Six

No one won the first prize in last night's draw. The numbers were 4, 8, 17, 39, 47 and 48. The extra number was 1. Seven tickets each won second prize of $393,110. Third prize paid $43,165.