Study Abroad - Australia

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 30 July, 2005, 12:00am
UPDATED : Saturday, 30 July, 2005, 12:00am

Students wanting to study in Australia have a host of options. If your English skills are good, consider attending the final two years of secondary school in Australia and then sitting the public matriculation exam, which - if you do well - provides direct entry to university.

An option for candidates with good HKCEE results in five subjects and an IELTS score of six is Foundation Studies, a one-year pre-university programme that prepares international students for entry into undergraduate programmes at the country's private and public colleges and universities.

Another option is the Technical and Further Education (TAFE) institutions, which focus on vocational education and training. These institutions account for about 70 per cent of post-secondary enrolments in the country. Programmes are offered at a variety of levels, including certificates, diplomas and advanced diplomas. All courses require an IELTS score of five to six.

Hong Kong students wishing to enrol in certificate courses, which take a year or two of full-time study to complete, should have satisfactory HKCEE results. Students will need their A-Levels to gain admission to diploma and advanced diploma programmes. These take three years of full-time study to complete. Some TAFE credits allow graduates to be admitted to degree courses at universities with advanced standing.

Australian universities offer diploma, associate and bachelor degree courses at the undergraduate level. Some universities admit students with an IELTS score of six in their A-Levels into diploma and associate diploma courses. Some bachelor courses will also admit students with similar qualifications. Bachelor programmes can be completed in three to five years.

Private institutions offer a range of certificate and diploma courses in business and vocational subjects. Certificate courses take 12 to 30 weeks to complete, with diploma courses taking up to 40 weeks. Entry requirements vary.