Girl stands by claim her father raped her while 11

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 17 August, 2005, 12:00am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 17 August, 2005, 12:00am

A teenaged girl has denied levelling false allegations of incest against her father in an effort to get away from an unhappy home life.

Testifying via video link in the Court of First Instance, the 17-year-old yesterday repeated claims she had been repeatedly raped by her father while she was just 11.

Her father has pleaded not guilty to one count of having sex with a daughter under the age of 13. His lawyer, John McNamara, suggested the girl made up the story because she wanted to get away from what was a fairly difficult home situation.

Listing her various interviews with teachers, social workers and police, Mr McNamara pointed out she had said nothing about incest during an initial meeting with her school social worker. It was only after the prospect of moving to a foster home was raised that the claims of sexual misconduct by the father began emerging.

Mr McNamara suggested the girl had been encouraged to level the allegations by her social workers amid the possibility of moving to a better home. She disagreed.

'They did not direct me to say anything,' the girl said. 'They just guided me to discuss something I had kept hidden before.'

The girl has alleged her father began indecently assaulting her in the months after she started Primary Five in September 1998. The father allegedly raped her for the first time before December 1998, after forcing her to watch a pornographic film with him.

'I can't recall the exact period [it started], but it was after the big vacation' for schoolchildren that ends in September, she said.

The girl repeated her claim that her father performed sexual acts on her on numerous occasions over the subsequent year, estimating he had raped her at least five times.

She said the rapes always took place at her home, but could not be sure of all the details.

'It doesn't mean that I can't remember, but I can't recall the entire picture,' she said.

The trial continues today.