• Mon
  • Dec 22, 2014
  • Updated: 9:08pm

Landslide squatters ordered out

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 27 August, 2005, 12:00am
UPDATED : Saturday, 27 August, 2005, 12:00am
 

People living in four squatter houses in a village at Tsuen Wan that was hit by a fatal landslide last week have been told they must leave their homes permanently.


Engineers discovered that the slope - which collapsed in the worst downpours in 11 years, burying a 42-year-old man - posed an 'immediate and obvious' threat to the houses.


'To ensure public safety, permanent evacuation of the four dwellings is required,' a spokesman for the geotechnical engineering office of the Civil Engineering and Development Department said after an inspection of the slope at Fu Yung Shan Tsuen.


The downpours last weekend caused more than 140 landslides across Hong Kong. The potential landslide index, which measures the risk of landslides as a result of a rainstorm, reached a level of 10 during the rains. This was the same record level as was reached in 1994, when heavy rain triggered more than 200 landslides.


The department spokesman said housing officials would re-house the villagers and the houses would be demolished by the Lands Department.


He added that the landslide investigation team of the geotechnical engineering office was studying the slope failure and would determine if further action was required.


Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or