'They were like butchers chopping pig legs'

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 27 August, 2005, 12:00am
UPDATED : Saturday, 27 August, 2005, 12:00am

The boy's attackers chopped him like butchers, two witnesses to the attack said yesterday, calling it senseless and inhumane.

A 76-year-old who identified himself as Mr Lam said: 'They chopped as if they were chopping pig legs. They jumped out both sides of the taxi, pushed the grandma away, forced the boy onto the ground, aimed at his right wrist, lifted the knife and chopped ... they chopped over and over again ... his hand almost fell off.'

Mr Lam, who lives in the same block as the victim, was on his way home after buying a lottery ticket and had stopped to rest when he saw the attack. 'I shouted like a thunderstorm to stop them ... they heard me. They are so cold-blooded and senseless, they didn't stop and continued to chop.

'The attack lasted for just a minute ... there wasn't too much blood at first, the boy was in shock. He didn't speak or say a word. Then his grandmother carried him from the scene and walked to the building's lobby to call for help.'

He said the masked attackers fled towards Wo Yi Hop Road. One of them, he said, tripped over a steel railing outside the block. He said they even stopped to catch their breath near block six of the estate - where they removed their caps and revealed hair dyed blonde.

Tsuen Wan district councillor Wong Ka-wa, who was working inside his office at the time of the attack, said he rushed to the scene after he heard residents screaming for help.

He said he followed a long and thick trail of blood to the lobby of the block, where he found the boy.

'His right arm was completely soaked in blood and the blood was running like a fountain off the wound.

'The boy didn't cry or yell, but he was scared and in shock. He kept saying 'What happened to my arm. My arm hurts a lot'.

'I gave him a seat, asked him random questions about his life to distract him, then wrapped my shirt around his wounds and made sure he didn't look at his arm.'

Shek Koon-hay, who also tended to the boy's injuries, said: 'I couldn't see the wound, but it was near his wrist and it was bent backwards.'