Chopping boy discharged from hospital but will miss a term

PUBLISHED : Friday, 09 September, 2005, 12:00am
UPDATED : Friday, 09 September, 2005, 12:00am

Seven-year-old chopping victim Shum Ho-yin was discharged from hospital yesterday but he will have to miss one term before he can resume a normal school life, according to his father.


Speaking immediately after Ho-yin's discharge, Shum Wai-sing said his son was making a good recovery but needed to practise using his left hand for meals and writing.


Mr Shum said the supportive frame attached to Ho-yin's injured right forearm was heavy and he hoped it could be replaced with a lighter one.


Ho-yin was discharged from Yan Chai Hospital two weeks after he was attacked and chopped six times on his right forearm on August 25 outside Block 5 at Lei Muk Shue estate, Tsuen Wan.


Eleven people have been arrested over the attack. Six of them, including his stepmother Hung Man-yee, have been charged.


'Ho-yin cannot attend school this month and probably has to miss a school term. We are now planning to arrange a tutor to help him keep up with the school work,' Mr Shum said.


'As a matter of fact, we have been receiving assistance from the community such as the Red Cross has arranged tutorials for him. A school has promised to save a place for him after his recovery.'


Mr Shum said Ho-yin did not like staying all day in the ward but enjoyed being accompanied by his natural parents during his stay.


Ho-yin still had to return to hospital for follow-up treatment, including physiotherapy, about twice a week.


Mr Shum said the family had to stay temporarily in a relative's home to avoid the media, as they had been followed too closely by the press over the past two weeks.


Ho-yin was quietly discharged at about noon without drawing the attention of the media.


Mr Shum said the family was waiting to move into a new public flat to start a new life.


Mr Shum expressed his thanks to the media and the community for their care and concern, but he hoped the media would not affect their lives.


He said he had visited his wife last Tuesday. She has been detained after being charged in relation to the attack on Ho-yin.


The father-of-two also planned to bring his youngest child, who was now under the care of the Social Welfare Department, to visit Hung. But he refused to comment on the case.


The brutal attack on the seven-year-old boy shocked the community, with Chief Executive Donald Tsang Yam-kuen leading the condemnation.


Two masked men chopped Ho-yin as he returned home with his grandmother from a private tutorial centre at Lei Muk Shue estate.


Wai Yuk-leung, chief of services at Yan Chai Hospital's department of orthopaedics and traumatology, warned that the boy may have suffered permanent damage. He had suffered two bone fractures and cuts to his muscles and tendons.


 

Promotions

 
 
 

You may also like