Health experts warn public after latest cholera case

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 21 September, 2005, 12:00am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 21 September, 2005, 12:00am

Updated at 6.44pm:
The Health Department on Wednesday confirmed another case of cholera and warned the public to observe good personal, food and environmental hygiene to prevent cholera and food-borne infections.


A spokesman for the Centre for Health Protection (CHP) revealed that the victim was a 75-year-old woman. She was now in stable condition in Queen Mary Hospital.


The woman fell ill on September 12, a day after she returned to Hong Kong from Guangzhou. She had developed symptoms of diarrhoea, nausea and vomiting, the spokesman said.


She is the fifth case of this disease reported in Hong Kong this year. But the department has yet to confirm whether it is an imported or local case.


According to the Ministry of Health (MOH), more cholera cases had been reported in the mainland so far this year compared with the same period last year.


Xinhua earlier reported that 172 cases of cholera had been reported in a recent outbreak in the southern province of Fujian since mid-August.


A CHP spokesman said: 'Whether in Hong Kong or travelling abroad, members of the public should pay attention to hygiene and take measures to prevent cholera and food-borne infection.'


'Cholera is endemic in the Asian-Pacific region and occurs usually during summer months. Occasional outbreaks were also found,' he added.