• Thu
  • Aug 21, 2014
  • Updated: 5:05am

Penn death ruled accidental

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 15 February, 2006, 12:00am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 15 February, 2006, 12:00am

Actor Chris Penn died accidentally from an enlarged heart and the effects of a mixture of multiple medications.


'There is absolutely no indication that this is anything but an accident,' chief coroner investigator Craig Harvey said.


Penn, 40, the younger brother of Sean Penn, was found dead in his condominium on January 24.


The primary cause of death was 'non-specific cardiomyopathy',


an oversized heart, with the 'effects of multiple medication intake', according to a statement issued by the coroner's office.


'We know he had several prescriptions, including promethazine with codeine, which featured predominantly in his death,' Harvey said.


Promethazine with codeine is known as a highly addictive prescription medication. Promethazine is an antihistamine that prevents vomiting, and codeine suppresses coughing and relieves pain, Harvey said.


'We don't know how much he ingested or when,' Harvey said. 'There are a lot of 'what ifs' to be factored in.'


Penn (left) had a heart that weighed 700g, which is a few hundred grams more than an average heart. AP


Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or