Shock results in survey of warming pillows
The Consumer Council is urging people to stop using warming pillows that run on electricity because leakage could cause electric shock.
A survey of 30 brands of electrothermal bags by the council and the Electrical and Mechanical Services Department found that 28 could cause electric shock if their conducting liquid leaked.
They may also burst when overheated, and generally had inadequate resistance to heat or fire. The bags range between $10 and $188.
The council advises the public to stick with traditional hot-water bags.
In response to consumer inquiries, the council said the lifespan of milk had nothing to do with preservatives but different heat treatment.
Pasteurised milk, which keeps for a shorter period, is heated to at least 72 degrees Celsius for 15 seconds, also known as high-temperature short-time treatment, whereas sterilised milk is heated to a minimum of 132 degrees Celsius for one second, or ultra-high temperature.
Consumer Council deputy chief executive Connie Lau Yin-hing said the ultra-high temperature treatment might cause the loss of certain vitamins, but the essential nutrients remained the same as those in pasteurised milk.
The council said that complaints against internet service providers (ISP) remained one of the highest among the complaint categories. It received 310 complaints last month. Last year there were 4,382, and in 2004 3,464.
Most complaints related to poor services, such as being cut off while online; arguments over pricing plans and customer hotline services.
The council recently completed a survey of ISP customer hotline services.
It made 160 calls, 40 each to four ISPs - i-Cable, PCCW Netvigator, Hong Kong Broadband and Hutchison - and 95 per cent of the calls were picked up by customer service staff within 30 seconds.
But the council said it was difficult to locate the right customer service staff through the ISPs computerised telephone systems.