slice of life

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 14 March, 2006, 12:00am
UPDATED : Tuesday, 14 March, 2006, 12:00am

The Indonesian army staged a peaceful coup when President Sukarno entrusted his life and power to the army chief, Lieutenant-General Suharto.

Sukarno had been facing mounting student unrest and opposition from the army.

The handover came as crack troops of the para-commandos and Siliwangi divisions moved into the capital, Jakarta, and took up positions under cover of a curfew.

The announcement that Sukarno had given his powers to Suharto was made early in the morning on Radio Jakarta.

It was followed later in the day by a huge victory parade of heavy armour and armed troops.

Suharto, the country's new strongman, appeared to be firmly in control and highly reliable sources described as 'slight' Sukarno's chances of staging a comeback.

Radio Malaysia said Suharto was expected to announce a new cabinet and impose martial law throughout the country to enable him to restore law and order in Jakarta.

The director of the Philippines Federation of Chambers of Commerce urged Manila to boycott Australian goods in retaliation against the 'White Australia policy'.

Luis Camara said the Philippines should adopt drastic measures to protect its national dignity in view of what happened to a Filipino banker who was refused entry into Australia.

He said a trade boycott of Australian goods would be in line with Manila's stand in the United Nations of imposing trade sanctions against countries with racially discriminatory policies.

The Government Information Services was a barrier which restricted the press in its work, according to Robert Ho, secretary of the Industrial and Commercial Daily Press.

He said the GIS determined whether or not a government officer should talk and the press was powerless to do anything about it.

'Many journalists ask themselves why an officer cannot choose for himself whether or not he wants to talk to the press,' he said.

Having to pass through the GIS was a waste of valuable news-finding tine, Mr Ho said.

Mr M.A.B. Stevenson, acting director of information services, said in response that the GIS was a system of providing information to newspapers and not a barrier.

He said that, from the journalist's point of view, an information service was necessary because a civil servant was not employed for his ability to explain what he was doing to the press and a journalist wanted to deal with someone who understood the point of his questions.

Tax increase proposals came under fire in the Legislative Council, with the Hon Wilfred S.B. Wong giving the Financial Secretary a fortnight to change his ideas or lose his vote.

The legislative councillor said the 2.5 per cent rise in salaries and profits tax was unnecessary.

He warned that the increase could have the effect of disturbing stability by foreshadowing more increases, discouraging more investments and killing, or at least drugging, the proverbial 'goose that lays the golden egg'.

Plans to provide the New Territories with automatic phone exchanges by 1968 were submitted to the Advisory Committee on Telephone Services.

Under the new system, subscribers in the New Territories were to be able to dial-direct subscribers in other exchanges without going through manual switchboards at the Waterloo Road Exchange in Kowloon.

The Russian government announced a ban on the catching and killing of dolphins because their brains were 'strikingly close to our own'.

The decision followed extensive research in Russia and abroad that showed dolphins' brainpower made them 'marine brothers of man'.

The fisheries minister indicated he accepted the theory that dolphins could talk and might eventually be able to teach their language to man.

A 16-year-old Vietnamese girl caught kissing her American boyfriend late at night on a Saigon street was arrested and charged with indecency.

The Saigon Daily News said she would appear in court for indecent behaviour in public.