• Fri
  • Aug 29, 2014
  • Updated: 8:02pm

Villager hurt in fall after leak fear

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 13 April, 2006, 12:00am
UPDATED : Thursday, 13 April, 2006, 12:00am

A villager who had been trying to escape from a gas leak in his unit injured his leg when he fell from the window in Pat Heung yesterday.


The 47-year-old man awoke at 12.15pm to what he thought was the smell of liquefied petroleum gas in the bedroom of his second-floor unit in a three-storey village house in Kat Hing Wai on Kam Tin Road.


However, the panicked man was unable to flee through the bedroom door because he could not open it, a police spokeswoman said.


He then climbed out of the window in an attempt to scramble down some drain pipes, but he slipped and fell to the ground, she said.


The man injured his left leg in the fall and was conscious when he was taken to Tuen Mun Hospital for treatment.


The Fire Services Department said no gas leak was found in the house or in the nearby area.


In a separate case, emergency services were sent to Tsui Lau House, Tsui Ping North Estate in Kwun Tong when a resident had complained of a gas leak at 12.45am.


A department spokesman said some gas was detected and removed with a fan.


Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or