Woman burnt by laser cosmetic surgery
Updated at 2.26pm:
A 35-year-old woman suffered burns when undergoing laser cosmetic surgery at a Mongkok beauty centre, Apple Daily reported on Wednesday.
The woman, surnamed Lau, said she discovered a 2.54 centimetre-long burn mark on her right leg after it was exposed to laser beams, Apple Daily reported.
She was undergoing skincare treatment at the cosmetic centre on Tuesday. She had paid $5,000 for a course that covered 20 laser treatments, the newspaper said.
Ms Lau said the affected area of her leg was painful.
'I immediately asked the cosmetic surgeon why it was so. She answered that there might have just been a malfunction in the laser machine,' she was quoted as saying.
The surgeon later admitted having mistakenly turned the laser output to a level higher than usual, Apple Daily reported.
Ms Lau later made a report to police and went to a hospital for a check-up. She said she would pursue the case further and seek a refund, the report said.
The cosmetic centre said the treatment uses laser beams to improve the texture of the skin.