Former policeman molested four girls

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 02 September, 2006, 12:00am
UPDATED : Saturday, 02 September, 2006, 12:00am

A former police officer, who quit the force after two convictions for loitering in women's toilets, yesterday admitted molesting four girls at a primary school where he worked as a technician.

District Court Deputy Judge Albert Wong Sung-hau ordered a clinical psychological report and two psychiatric reports on Wong Chi-ho, 36.

Wong pleaded guilty to nine counts of indecent assault on the girls, aged 10 and 11, in a television broadcast room of the primary school in Whampoa.

Senior government counsel Athena Pang Po-kam told the court the sexual attacks occurred between October 2005 and January this year. They came to light after one of the girls complained to her mother.

The principal was alerted and interviewed Wong, who denied the allegations and resigned from his post as an audio-visual technician.

Ms Pang said the attacks happened in the television broadcast room, where equipment for filming and editing were provided to students.

She said Wong had two previous convictions for loitering. He was found in a women's toilet in the police college in 2004 and was seen coming out of a women's toilet at police headquarters in 2005.

The most recent psychiatric report was obtained in June last year but did not confirm any mental illness, the court heard.

Solicitor Ting Koon-hung told the judge that Wong was hiding his own feelings and thoughts from the psychiatrist when that report was obtained and had not properly understood his problem until he committed the latest offences.

Mr Ting said Wong said he was physically abused by his father when he was small and that he used to live with a mentally ill aunt who 'treated the family very badly'.

He said that after the second arrest for loitering, Wong resigned from the police force and worked for a secondary school as a teaching assistant, at which time he did not find he had any 'peeping habits' or 'abnormal sexual desires'.

Wong was jailed for three months after being convicted of the second loitering charge. Mr Ting said Wong joined the Whampoa school after being released from that term in August last year.

Sentencing was adjourned until September 15.