Top policeman killed himself after wife discovered lurid photos: report

PUBLISHED : Monday, 11 September, 2006, 12:00am
UPDATED : Monday, 11 September, 2006, 12:00am

Updated at 2.22pm:
A top police officer killed himself on Friday after his wife had discovered photos showing him visiting red-light districts in the mainland, according to a news report on Monday.

Chief Superintendent Fung Kin-man, 49, leapt to his death from a public housing estate block in Kwai Chung at noon on Friday. He was declared dead at the scene.

A close colleague of Fung quoted by Oriental Daily on Monday said Fung?s relationship with his wife quickly deteriorated after she had obtained pictures showing her husband flirting with prostitutes in China.

Fung, former head of the Organised Crime and Triad Bureau, had been on sick leave since a suicide attempt in March. His wife is a chief inspector with the scene-of-crime section of the police Identification Bureau.

While Fung was being treated in hospital earlier this year, his wife had gone into the ward and berated Fung about the photos. She had demanded a divorce, the colleague said.

The reasons for his suicide had initially been unclear. Police would not disclose details about Fung?s death.

He had been assisting the Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) on a money-laundering case involving Canto-pop concert impresario Abba Chan Tat-chee.

Chan, 59, known as ?Uncle Ba?, pleaded guilty last week to six charges of money laundering, conspiracy to steal, theft and conspiracy to defraud involving HK$63 million.

The colleague also said the ICAC had seized documents from Fung?s office during an investigation in connection with illegal gambling in March.

Police found no suicide note at the scene, but discovered a note which was torn-up at his home. This was being put back together to establish if it was a suicide note.

News of Fung?s death shocked and saddened colleagues. It also prompted Secretary for Security Ambrose Lee Siu-kwong to urge police officers under stress to seek help.

Fung had tried to commit suicide by burning charcoal in March before being due to provide information to the anti-graft agency.

Fung had been in the police force for more than 30 years.