• Fri
  • Jul 11, 2014
  • Updated: 11:22pm

Tougher sentence sought for naked boy's father

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 28 December, 2006, 12:00am
UPDATED : Thursday, 28 December, 2006, 12:00am
 

A father who marched his son naked in the street as punishment for laziness should be put on probation instead of a good behaviour bond, the Department of Justice said yesterday.


Seeking a review of the sentence in Fanling Court, government counsel Teresa Kam said the original order was 'too lenient and legally wrong'.


The 46-year-old, who cannot be named to protect the child's identity, was bound over for two years after Magistrate Symon Wong Yu-wing found him guilty of one charge of ill-treating a child last month.


Ms Kam said the defendant committed the offence while on a previous binding-over order, granted after he assaulted a boy, 11, who is not related to him.


Five days after he was charged with the second offence, he again forced his son, 10, to leave home naked.


The father had an obvious history of violence and the chance of him re-offending was high, Ms Kam said, adding that his three children, aged between three months and 10 years, were at risk.


Ms Kam said a three-year probation order with regular psychiatric treatment and counselling would be beneficial to the father.


The prosecution also asked the magistrate to fine him HK$2,000 for breaking his previous binding-over order.


The defendant, who is unemployed and represented himself yesterday, did not reply to the application.


The magistrate adjourned the case to January 17 pending a probation report before ruling on the review application.


Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or