City Briefs

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 30 December, 2006, 12:00am
UPDATED : Saturday, 30 December, 2006, 12:00am

Colombians jailed for credit card fraud

Two Colombians were jailed yesterday after they admitted using three forged credit cards to shop for luxury items. Freddy Sanchez Duarte, 34, and Milena Trujillo Botero, 32, spent HK$30,989 on the three cards and also had a further 17 forged cards, the District Court heard. Deputy Judge Douglas Yau Tak-hong jailed Duarte for three years and four months on 17 charges, including using and possessing false credit cards, forged passports and identity cards, and possession of cannabis. Botero received two years and eight months on 10 charges of using forged credit cards.

Councillor gets three months for drink-driving

Kwai Tsing district councillor Lui Ko-wai, 45, was jailed for three months after being convicted in Tsuen Wan Court of drink-driving and switching places with a passenger after a crash. Lui's licence was disqualified for one year and he was fined HK$6,000. He also was fined HK$4,000 for assaulting a passenger in the other vehicle after the crash at Tsing Yi in March. Co-defendant Lo Chun-chuen, 45, was also jailed for three months for perverting the course of justice. The Home Affairs Bureau said Lui would not be stripped of his position as the sentence was not more than three months.

Police release husband of woman found hanged

Police unconditionally released the husband of a woman who was found hanging from a tree outside their home in Sai Kung. The man, surnamed Shek, 51, was arrested on Tuesday night on suspicion of murder. After his release, he was taken to Kowloon Hospital for treatment for a 'mental' condition. It was believed the couple made a suicide pact and swallowed pills and alcohol in their home.

Children rescued from burning flat

Tuen Mun residents rescued a girl, 10, and her brother, seven, from their burning flat. They used a fire hose on the 19th floor of Wu Tsui House, Wu King Estate. The children were in serious condition in hospital last night. The mother, 36, received a verbal warning for leaving them unattended. The children were seen burning candles on the balcony at midday.

Congolese man bashed

A Congolese man was bashed outside a bar in Central. Police said the man left the Pottinger Street bar but returned soon after at 6.30am, saying he had been beaten. He collapsed and was taken to Queen Mary Hospital, where he is in a serious condition.